In life, there are a lot of beginnings. The first job, first relationship, any time you do something for the first time. When you're young, you feel as if it's all normal. It's supposed to be that way. Your youth is the time to experiment with things, to find what it is you're good at. But what do you do if you don't find it? What if you feel like you've gone through life coasting?
That's what I did. Hell, that's what I do. I'm 27 years old, and I'm still trying to figure out what it is I want to be when I grow up. I've worked in restaurants, construction, general labor, pest control and retail. I even joined the Army, trying to find what it was I am meant to do.
All these places, all these paychecks, and I had never been as excited to get paid as I was when I was paid for my first freelance writing gig. I wrote two little 400 word articles on video gaming news. I was paid $15 for both (a crazy bargain apparently) , and I was so, so happy. Three days before that I had gotten paid by my real job, a little more than $1500. But seeing that payment, knowing it was for writing...that gave me a feeling I hadn't had before. Pride. I was proud that I had made that money, proud that I had earned it writing. Not just writing, but writing about video games! In school, my saving grace was my English class. I'm fairly certain it saved my GPA. I love video games and I enjoy writing, so being able to combine the two and make money? Sign me up!
I'm no expert. I'm about as far from an expert as it gets, actually. But I feel like this is something that's important to understand. Being able to combine what you're good at with what you love to do is a fantastic feeling. I'm not saying it'll be easy, and I'm definitely not saying it'll pay the bills. After all, I made $15 on my first two articles, and spent $20 celebrating it! But being able to work at something you like, something you're proud to do, it's a wonderful feeling. So go out there, explore your skills, see how you can combine it with something you enjoy. It's out there, I promise you. It may not happen overnight, you'll have to work at it. But as long as you start, you'll get there. It's cliche as all hell but, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Get started, okay? Let your journey begin.

Comments